· Know the law In Vermont you need to register your machine, display a current TMA (Trail Maintenance Assessment) sticker and have liability insurance in place on your machine in order to ride public trails. VAST member ships and TMA’s are available at the Farm Country Insurance office. If you were born after 07/01/83, you also need to complete a Snowmobile Education Course. This can be done online here. See the complete Vermont law here.
· Beware of Water Drowning is the leading cause of death in snowmobile fatalities. Be absolutely certain how thick the ice is before venturing out onto it. Better yet, don’t cross ice.
· Gear Up Wear your protective gear every time you ride, in case of an accident. Wear layers of clothing so you can add or remove layers as the weather changes and don’t forget that safety-certified helmet.
· Take a Friend Don’t snowmobile alone, it’s more fun and safer to take a friend along.
· Tread Lightly Be considerate of the environment. Wait for there to be enough snow to completely cover vegetation. Avoid running over trees and shrubs and admire, but don’t disturb the local wildlife.
· Think Ahead Carry an emergency kit. It should include your owner’s manual, an extra belt, extra spark plugs, a tow rope, a small tool kit, a first aid kit, a flashlight, and some basic survival items like a space blanket, lighter and a compass.
· Maintain Control Ride at an appropriate speed for the conditions and your riding skill. This also means to slow down at night. Remember you can only see as far as your headlight at night and you don’t want your stopping distance to be further than you can see.
· Be Sharp Alcohol, drugs and fatigue can all impair your ability to reason and make sound judgments. Ride only when you are sharp. Don’t drink and ride.
· Stop at Road Crossings Automobile drivers don’t expect to see snowmobile crossing in front of them. Be sure you stop and that no traffic is approaching from any direction before crossing a road.
Farm Country Insurance is your one stop for snowmobile insurance and your VAST TMA sticker. We offer snowmobile insurance from some of the best companies in the industry and are an authorized outlet for the St Johnsbury Snoblazers for TMA’s. We also have trail maps available. Stop in and see us.
Have fun riding!