· Turning on the stove for heat is not safe; have at least one of the following heat sources in case the power goes out:
- Extra blankets, sleeping bags, and warm winter coats
- Fireplace with plenty of dry firewood or a gas log fireplace
- Portable space heaters or kerosene heaters, (properly vented)
o Use electric space heaters with automatic shut-off switches and non-glowing elements.
o Never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water.
o Never leave children unattended near a space heater.
o Keep heat sources at least 3 feet away from furniture and drapes.
o Have the following safety equipment:
- Chemical fire extinguisher
- Smoke alarm in working order (Check batteries.)
- Carbon monoxide detector (Check and change batteries, if needed.)
o Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air intake of your home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
o Do not use the generator or appliances if they are wet.
o Do not store gasoline indoors where the fumes could ignite.
o Use individual heavy-duty, outdoor-rated cords to plug in other appliances.
o Leave all water taps slightly open so they drip continuously.
o Keep the indoor temperature warm.
o Allow more heated air near pipes. Open kitchen cabinet doors under the kitchen sink.
o If your pipes do freeze, do not thaw them with a torch. Thaw the pipes slowly with warm air from an electric hair dryer.
o If you cannot thaw your pipes, or if the pipes have broken open, use bottled water or get water from a neighbor’s home.
o Fill the bathtub or have bottled water on hand.
o In an emergency, if no other water is available, snow can be melted for water. Bringing water to a rolling boil for one minute will kill most germs but won’t get rid of chemicals sometimes found in snow
Stay warm and stay safe
thanks to the CDC for this list, for a more complete winter preparedness guide go HERE