Whether you’re planning a trip to a local attraction in Vermont this summer, or headed all the way across the country, you want your vacation to be relaxing. It’s a getaway from work, not to mention your day-to-day life. So we’ve got some tips – from packing smart to protecting yourself from pickpockets – to make your trip the best it can be.
Before you go
Before you go
- Make a packing list Put everything on this list, even if you think you would never forget it. A toothbrush is easy to replace when you get there – your prescription medication isn’t.
- Have printed itineraries Keep the copies separate from your passport and other IDs.
- Have a list of emergency numbers, Better than have to scramble for these later.
- Do laundry at your destination. If you’re willing to sacrifice a little time, you can pack far fewer items of clothing.
- Easy on the shoes. If you can, pack only one or two pairs of shoes. It’s best to wear the heavier pair during travel if possible, and pack the lighter one.
- Ditch the books. Consider using an e-reader instead of packing actual books .
- If flying, don’t check your bag. This will not only force you to take smaller pieces of luggage, but with most airlines it will save you money!
- Don’t carry much cash. Most places accept credit cards, and those that don’t often have ATMs on site.
- If you carry a wallet, keep it in your front pocket. For a purse, hang it across your body. Both will make it more difficult for a thief. You could also consider carrying a money belt, which is a good way to conceal cash and cards.
- Staying at a hotel? Beware of “resort fees.” More and more hotels are charging these. Some will waive it if you complain — and it can be worth complaining because the fee can be $10 – $25 each day.
- Eating out too much? If your hotel room has a refrigerator, you can easily purchase and store sandwich ingredients for a cheap lunch or dinner.
- Think about travel insurance. Yes, this costs money up front. But if you have a long and expensive vacation planned, travel insurance can end up saving you a lot of money.